Why is it called a Wedding Breakfast - by Devon Catering
Wedding Breakfasts have been part of the traditional wedding day for a very long time. A meal that is shared with all the friends and family that have come together to share your special day, depending on your wedding venue and wedding caterer the wedding breakfast can be a selection of your favourite foods or the food can be matched to your theme in interesting and unique ways.
The meal that follows your wedding ceremony is known as the wedding breakfast, the name comes from the past when traditionally the wedding ceremony was held after mass, the whole wedding party would fast before mass and so for the bride and groom this was their first meal. Today the name is kept as a reminder that this is the first meal for the newly married bride and groom, the first meal after the ceremony, as man and wife and so the name breakfast is kept.
No two wedding breakfasts are the same, your wedding breakfast should be unique to you and reflect you as a couple in your tastes, likes and dislikes. Normally the meal consists of a starter, main and dessert course and finished with the speeches and a glass of champagne for the toasts. But this format is by no means set in stone and you should always feel free to incorporate what works for you on your special day, a great wedding caterer like Devon Catering can really help bring your ideas to life and keep all your guests well fed throughout your day.
Key Wedding Breakfast Trends for 2018/2019 Weddings:
1. Starters served on shared platters are becoming increasingly popular, it's a great way for guests to get to know each other whilst sharing some amazing food, all served on our hand-crafted solid oak platters.
2. Seasonal and Local are becoming key watchwords for modern brides most counties have great produce they are famous for and a specialist wedding caterer will look to source their ingredients from local suppliers giving that truly local feel to your wedding.
3. Serving tapas style food without the Spanish influence is an up and coming trend many couples are embracing for a delicious and interesting way to serve the main meal.
4. Just as sharing starterss are very popular so is the rise of the sharing dessert platter. Why opt for one dessert when you can have a choice of many mini desserts. The choice, design and colour influence can look and taste dramatic!
5. Nostalgic food is making a big comeback, food from childhood is making its way onto the Bride and Grooms plate, sausage and mash or fish and chips have a makeover to look incredible on the plate without losing that feel-good taste.
However you choose to celebrate your special day let the team at Devon Catering advise you on the food options available to you.
Phone: 01271 858505
Leave a Comment